Andrew Wyeth (1917 ~ 2009) was a well-known American painter. specifically as a realist artist. Most of his artwork involve people, figurative and portrait paintings, done in a realist style.
Below some of his famous quotes.
- I get letters from people about my work. The thing that pleases me most is that my work touches their feelings. In fact, they don’t talk about the paintings. They end up telling me the story of their life or how their father died.
- I dream a lot. I do more painting when I’m not painting. It’s in the subconscious.
- It’s a shock for me to go through and see all those years of painting my life, which is very personal for me. It’s a very difficult thing for an artist to look back at his work.
- One’s art goes as far and as deep as one’s love goes.
- Artists today think of everything they do as a work of art. It is important to forget about what you are doing.. then a work of art may happen.
- My aim is to escape from the medium with which I work; to leave no residue of technical mannerisms to stand between my expression and the observer.
- You think you’re developing and getting better and then you see something you did years ago. Looking at your early work.. sometimes it has a depth that surprises you.
- I’ve never studied the Japanese. That’s something that must have crept in there. But the Japanese are my biggest clients. They seem to like the elemental quality.